It was my first study jam session as a facilitator for Google Developers Group, SG (GDG-SG). Rahul, Senior Software Engineer at PropertyGuru joined with me in facilitating the session. He arranged the event at PropertyGuru SG HQ and was also a wonderful host.
This post is about the certification and the assessment exam.
About the Assessment
This certification is focused to point out the important optimization factors for mobile websites. The content of the course covers mobile website topics like UI, UX, user design principles, advanced technologies like Progressive Web Apps (PWA) and Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP).
It is stated that this course is targeted for web developers, webmasters, or technical professionals creating mobile websites to demonstrate your expertise. However, my observation is that it is also suited for product managers, product owners, students and analytics teams who would want to understand what it takes to optimize a mobile site.
The feedback from participants at the study jam session was similar to my observation. One of the participant stated that this course helped add context to the functionalities aspect of what he focuses on as a developer.
The course has 4 main modules as follows:
- Why does mobile site matter?
- Improving mobile site speed
- User Design Principles for mobile site
- Advance web technologies
I liked the module 3 over the others. Google and AnswerLab conducted a research study examining how a range of users interacted with a diverse group of mobile sites. The study uncovered 25 mobile site design principles, grouped into five categories. While these were very common factors we encounter daily, this module reinforced the fact of optimizing them for better UX.
The Assessment Exam
The certification is FREE of cost and has to be attempted at the Academy for Ads learning portal by Google. If you prefer video study materials, this portal has optional videos for preparation. The detailed assessment guide for reading is available in Google Support section (link).
- Questions: The assessment is made up of 65 questions
- Time limit: You’ll have 90 minutes to complete the assessment
- Passing score: You need to get a score of 80% or higher to pass
- Retake period: If you don’t pass the assessment, you can take it again after 1 day
- Available languages: simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Spanish (Latin America), Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese
The result is shared immediately and the certificate is provided at the same time, if you passed.
All the best for the exam and happy optimizing mobile sites!